Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Making of an Image - Roseberry Topping

By James Paul

Great Ayton is one of my very favorite locations. The village, itself steeped in history, is a great starting point for exploring the North Yorkshire Moors and in particular Roseberry Topping. The distinctive peak, dubbed the 'Cleveland Matterhorn,' stands at only 320 metres high yet it can be seen for many miles. Thanks to the local geology and an array of footpaths including the Cleveland Way it is not hard to find a great view point in which to view the hill.

Being only 20 minutes away from my home, Great Ayton is one of my default locations. If I'm short of time or I don't want to travel far, i'll goto Great Ayton. This philosophy leads to a familiarity and understanding of the local landscape which I think is essential for any photographer. On one particular evening in late September this familiarity and understanding was crucial in capturing this image.

It had been a very poor day, the rain had been pounding down and there was little hope of getting out let alone producing a great image. To be honest, I was resigned to staying in. I kept going out into the garden and looking up at the sky for any sign of the weather changing. As I capture images in the so-called 'Magic Hour' time was running out to make a decision whether to go anywhere. As the cut off point approached I finally noticed a little glint of light way in the distance. It offered a faint glimmer of hope but there was certainly every chance of the clouds eating the light back up. Despite this I just thought 'go for it' and with my car loaded up I headed off for Great Ayton.

My familiarity of the location led me to be very aware that the angle of the sun in the last hour of light would lead to its rays being cast over Cliff Ridge and onto the peak. As I got closer to Great Ayton I could see the strength of the sun growing and felt more confident that I could get a great image. Despite this it was actually still raining at the time.

It was a mad dash upto Cliff Ridge through the delightful Newton Wood. Ignoring all the lovely scenery and great views I finally managed to make it too the ridge and quickly set up. Almost immediately, the elements fell into place - the rain stopped and the sun burst into life falling below the thick bank of cloud that had brought so much gloom. It was a spectacular sight and one that I was fortunate to have just enough time to set up and capture an image that has been one of my most successful.

The proximity of the location had been crucial in capturing this image. Had Roseberry Topping been even one mile further away I would not have made it, it was literally split second. I was also fortunate to have made such a late gamble to go out, and a night in front of the TV had been quite tempting. If there is a lesson then it is one that almost anything can happen even when the outlook doesn't look great.

I must have shot this view on many occasions and in a multitude of differing weathers. Every visit increased my understanding of the local environment and allowed me to work out what time of year I could capture this view successfully. Many visits produced poor results, but it can be said that there are positives to be taken from a shoot that has not been successful. It allows you to rule certain things out. Understanding when you can't do something is a key characteristic and allows you to grow as a photographer.

James Paul,
http://www.jamespaulphotography.co.uk

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=James_Paul

0 comments: